2013 Friends of Geography 25th Annual Conference
Geography: Don’t Leave School Without It!
Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
Registration/breakfast snacks at 7:30 am
Exhibits Open at 7:30 am
Harris County Department of Education
6300 Irvington Blvd.
- Is designed for teachers of geography and geography aficionados.
- Features an expert geographer as keynote speaker and session presenter.
- Includes top notch sessions presented by the best geography educators and geographers this side of the Pecos River.
- Provides exhibits to learn more about geography products and services.
- Is centrally located in an easy to reach facility.
- Offers the opportunity for geography educators to learn from each other/ network.
- Will have sessions for elementary teachers of social studies.
- Will have sessions for middle school teachers of World Cultures.
- Will have sessions for high school teachers of World Geography.
- Will have sessions on the use of technology, activities, and content information.
- Will provide professional development credit.
For questions about registration contact Jennifer Leadbetter at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOGger awarded Texas Social Studies Supervisor of the Year Award!
State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR)
The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) will be replacing the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS). At the elementary school level, the structure of the assessments will not differ significantly from the TAKS exams. The rigor of the STAAR End-of-Course (EOC) exams and their importance for high school graduation provide a major difference between these and the TAKS.
The following TEA link identifies the phase-in process for the STAAR/EOC as the high school level TAKS tests are phased out:
This following TEA link contains the most current blueprint for the high school tested subjects as well as the identification of the Readiness and Supporting standards. These standards are crucial for teachers to know and understand as there is a direct correlation between the student expectations in the TEKS and what will be emphasized on the STAAR/EOC: